Special Child
You weren’t like other children,
And God was well aware,
You’d need a caring family,
With love enough to share.
And so He sent you to us,
And much to our surprise,
You haven’t been a challenge,
But a blessing in disguise.
Your winning smiles and laughter,
The pleasures you impart,
Far outweigh your special needs,
And melt the coldest heart.
We’re proud that we’ve been chosen,
To help you learn and grow,
The joy that you have brought us,
Is more than you can know.
A precious gift from Heaven,
A treasure from above,
A child who’s taught us many things,
But most of all - “Real Love”
by Sharon Harris
See, I love my children, all of them ALOT! God sent us each and everyone of them to us to be treasured and loved and protected. While some days can be challenging, loving them is so easy its like breathing. Today, today was the day I wrote the "powers that be" at the school district to stand up for Delainey's rights, you see because she doesnt speak, but looks "normal" they think her Hypotonia isnt "severe"...... they think because she's this little petite thing, that she doesnt need the services the teacher recommended..... they think they are talking to two parents who wont know better, who wont research, who wont stand up for what we believe is right for this little being God has entrusted in our care. They were.... wrong.
I have never been more aware of Delainey's delay's (I still can't bring myself to say she's disabled or that she has a disability), since getting that global in May. It hit me smack in the face when we sat down for that ETR (Evaluation Team Report) combined with the IEP (Individualized Education Program). I had many dreams when I was pregnant with Delainey and Eden. I dreamed that they were boys, and that they had downs syndrome. While they were scary dreams, I had this sense of peace that said "ok God, bring it on"! Little did I realize how "easier" that might have been. How do you educate people about the delays (insert disability here) for your child, when she looks so..... normal. How do you explain that while she IS shy and quiet, and thats just fine and the way God made her little beautiful self, that it's also part of her Hypotonia, her "condition" because Hypotonia is not a disease or diagnosis, it's a state of low muscle tone, that is often a sign of something else to come, a "diagnosis" you can say. What happens when your baby, your precious little girl has something people have rarely heard of, let alone can easily comprehend? Well in this family, we "Cowboy UP". Delainey is "special", slowing down to see things at her pace and to communicate with her on her level is a conscious effort in today's world. Slowing down to meet HER needs is humbling at times. Because you see, to see her at her level, to meet her at her needs..... well sometimes you have to be on YOUR knees! What better time to pray, and devote time to this little petite adorable walking doll than when you're on your knees, ready to be humbled by the highest. Ready to give your all for him, and this little girl that he sent down for you to protect?
So the school wants to put my baby on a "bus" and send her accross town to a different school, all the while going against what the special needs teacher is recommending. All the while saying "we're not here to cater to you" as her parents. So mark my words dear school district, I found a shirt that said "Beware of Mom: She eats Doctors for Lunch"..... I think i'll order mine to say "Beware of Mom: She eats School Administrators for lunch". And wear it into deliver the letter I have regarding this brand new IEP we have sitting here. Wish me luck! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment